Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Identifying the trend



Sometimes the trend is not so easily spotted. Whipsaw action and fakeouts are the name of the game. You can counter those by either going for a walk or if you choose to trade by paying careful attention to the technical indicators.
This large green candle on the QQQQ looks strange coming right after a longish low volume red candle. I view obvious fakeouts like this as an ideal place to do the opposite---go short. I only use the QQQQ as a guide for the market strength and don't trade it.


A little while later you can see the QQQQ is down to lows again. Here it pops up on no volume and just hangs there. I watched for many seconds and no trades went by. HHmmm smells like manipulation to me.

3rd chart shows a little more later it has returned to lows with gusto. A trend made up of quick down candles followed by no volume pops or counter uptrends tells me the general trend is more down than up. Now find a stock that is trending like BIDU shown below and trade it.

1 comment:

Day Trading Fool said...

Fakeout schmakeout... just reel me in already.

You mean 'looks strange' as in this big green bar seemingly came out of nowhere? My thought was - is this the beginning of the turn around?

I suppose a legit turn tends to show 'smoother' action? Big candles changing to smaller candles before powering up?

What you are saying makes sense. Especially in hindsight, after the 12:00 long green on moderate volume failed. That probably should of screamed short for the rest of the day.


Good stuff. Thanks.